November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving

Yes, I'm going to start off with the mushy "what I'm thankful for". I'm thankful for our house, our jobs, our health, our friends and family, our cats, our baby-in-the-making and most of all... for my wonderful husband. Ok, enough mush.

Thanksgiving was a hit! It was overwhelming to make the entire meal but I had plenty of help from my Mom. On the menu: Hershey Kisses, Peppermint Patties, chocolate chip cookies, and cheese and crackers for snackers. My family loves chocolate. And for dinner: citrus turkey (stuffed with grapefruit, orange and lemon!) and smothered in lemon chive butter, cranberry almond stuffing, mashed potatoes with homemade gravy (thanks to Mom), garlic string beans, mac-n-cheese, baked corn (thanks to Gram), cranberry sauce, and cornbread muffins. And for dessert: pumpkin pie and homemade frozen chocolate mousse pie. What a great day for food!

I loved having my parents and my Gram at our place for the day. It was very laid back (once the cooking marathon was finished). We watched the parade. Dad assembled a bookshelf for us for the nursery. We took a walk after dinner. Mom and I played Grey's Anatomy trivia (and I kicked her butt). And my parents even spent the night.

Friday we grabbed breakfast then ran to Linens-N-Things. Yay going out of business sale! I got a salad spinner, flannel sheets and a fuzzy pink bathrobe. After a successful shopping trip, we went to see Australia. Really a fantastic movie. I'm a big fan of Nicole, Hugh and Baz so it was an easy choice. Definitely a departure from Baz's usual work. Not so much a chick flick like Romeo & Juliet or Moulin Rouge but an epic, to be sure. We had Bangkok Wok for dinner (I know, shame on us for not eating leftovers). Then my parents sadly had to go home. I promptly fell asleep.

The highlight of my day yesterday, well, there were two: the moment I woke up from my nap and my horrible headache was finally gone and my successful attempt at a new recipe for dinner. Peter and I went to Panera for breakfast and that was amazing too. Decaf coffee... yum. So, the new recipe, turkey and stuffing casserole! It was fantastic. We took some to Chris and Michelle since they are just 2 days away from their due date and I figured they weren't doing much cooking. I can't wait to have more leftovers tonight.

So that's the lowdown on the weekend. Right now Peter is on a "man date" with Josh seeing Transporter 3. I wasn't willing to spend money on a movie I had no interest in seeing so Josh is bringing Melinda over after the movie for pie. More my speed. Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving and enjoy your holiday season. Not long till Christmas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a successful Thanksgiving! I'm definitely impressed. :-)

I want to hear about nursery plans (or are you waiting until you find out the sex of the baby to decorate?).

-Becca S.

The van Brackel Family said...

Gorgeous! Sounds like a lot of fun. By the way, I tagged you in a little blog game :-). Check out my blog for details :-). Hope everything is going well!