March 19, 2010

Rhyme Time

Carina attended her first Rhyme Time at our local library last night. I was a little bummed the first time I went in search of a story time for her age group because I couldn't find any on Wednesday morning. Then one day when Carina and I were at the library one of the children's librarians asked if we ever attended Rhyme Time and I said no because I worked every day but Wednesday and she kindly informed me there were two on Thursday evenings! I was SO excited. I was part of the very first story time group our local library ever had where I grew up - I was even in the paper! I practically grew up in the library between story time, my Mom volunteering week nights and eventually working there myself Saturday mornings through high school. Introducing Carina to the library has been a special treat.

Rhyme Time lasts about 20 minutes and is for ages 18 months and younger. It consists of songs, rhymes, short stories and rhythmic games. Last night we made music with egg shakers and played with big bouncy balls. It was so neat to see Carina interacting with kids so close to her own age. Another 9 month old (with TONS of dark hair) crawled up to her and Carina kept leaning in and grabbing this dear girl's face and hair. No harm done but Carina now has need to learn the word "gentle". We wonder once she becomes more mobile if she'll be a quiet listener or an active mover and shaker! This group had it's fair share of both.

Can't wait to go again next week! And here is the Joneses gone green pic I promised.


0 comments: