March 23, 2011

Back-a-Ward

This isn't meant to be a controversial post. When I added a link on my Facebook profile regarding the new AAP recommendation (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-us-med-carseats-chil,0,1725962.story) that toddlers remain rear-facing (or back-a-ward as Carina would say) in their car seats till age 2 responses were numerous and varied. We are fortunate in that Carina is so tiny and easy-going that neither her comfort or cooperation comes into play in the decision-making process. She is comfortable, she is happy and she is safe. A win-win-win!


I know I'm rambling here but what it all boils down to is every parent needs to make their own decisions about their own child. It is far too easy to judge other parents based on their choices regarding feeding, diapering, child care, sleeping and now car seat position among many, many others! I'm stealing this idea from another blog I read but I think it's valuable - ask yourself is it a matter of faith or ethics? If not, then it's probably not worth fighting over. Parents need all the support they can get. In this instance I choose rear-facing for my own reasons. I put the new recommendation out there so other parents can see it but in the end all any parent can do is the very best by their individual child.

0 comments: